Research Station Carmabi
Dr. Kristen Marhaver
University of California at Merced
5200 North Lake Road
Merced, CA 95343 USA
Education and Degrees:
2004 – B.S. Applied Biology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
2010 – Ph.D. Marine Biology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography,
University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Recent publications relevant to Curacao
- Marhaver, K.L., M.J.A. Vermeij, F. Rowher, and S.A. Sandin. In review. Microbes from adult corals cause distance-dependent mortality in nearby juveniles.
- Marhaver KLM (2011) Bleaching corals of two species appear to feed from neighboring algal turfs. Coral Reefs DOI: 10.1007/s00338-011-0782-y
- Barott, K.L., B. Rodriguez-Brito, J. Janouškovec, K.L. Marhaver, J.E. Smith, P. Keeling, and F.L. Rohwer. 2011. Microbial diversity associated with four functional groups of benthic reef algae and the reef-building coral Montastraea annularis. Environmental Microbiology DOI: 10.1111/j.1462-2920.2010.02419.x
- Vermeij, M.J.A., K.L. Barott, A.E. Johnson, and K.L. Marhaver. 2010. Release of eggs from tentacles in a Caribbean coral. Coral Reefs 29(2): 411. DOI:10.1007/s00338-010-0595-4
- Vermeij, M.J.A., K.L. Marhaver, I. Nagelkerken, C. Huijbers, and S.P. Simpson. 2010. Movement of coral larvae toward reef sounds. PLoS One 5(5): e10660.
General research interests
Larval behavior and sensory systems; Evolution of behavior; Multi-species symbioses; Coral speciation (or the lack thereof); Molecular basis of behavior; Coral reef ecology; Microbial ecology
Research interests on Curacao
I had the fortune of studying coral genetics an as undergrad and coral larval ecology and behavior on Curacao as a Ph.D. student. Why stop now? My recent and ongoing projects on Curacao mix ideas and methods from benthic ecology, animal behavior, microbiology and molecular genetics to answer questions such as:
Can juvenile coral settlement and survival be predicted using larval behavior in various microbial and chemical environments?
How do coral-associated microbes affect juvenile coral mortality and what are the consequences for the behavioral evolution of larvae?
What is the molecular basis of the various sensory abilities of coral larvae?
What forces drive the spatial patterning of the reef benthos?
How can describe and measure larval behavior more precisely and efficiently?
How did various symbioses evolve and why are some more flexible than others?